Rouxbe Community Forums

Rouxbe Forums Rouxbe Recipe Discussions Rouxbe Video Recipes

Our finest instructional step-by-step video recipes. See what people are talking about.

Users Currently In Forums

Anne G Marcy K Norberto S Jason R Oxana K Will M Maples L

Southeast-Asian Pork Satays

by Dawn T in Rouxbe Recipes

Moist and tender pork satays are served with a slightly spicy and exotic peanut sauce.

Comments: 14 Views: 21313 Success: 95%
Dave W

Pork Satays

Absolutely fabulous!

Dave

Tu N

Satays

These satays and the sauce were delicious. I followed the recipe exactly except i cooked them for about 20min because i like the pork to be well done and they still turned out moist. I will definately make them again.

Steve E
Rouxbe Staff

On the Barbecue

I made these in preparation for a dinner party the day before and gilled them on the barbecue to perfection. I got rave reviews and already know this will be a new summer grilling favorite for friends and family alike. It was great to have all the prep done so you could relax and socialize then the only thing to do was be one with the Q. I left the weather to chance but thankfully that couldn't have been better if it tried.

Matthew B

Stunning!

An outstanding recipe - the flavors (both of the marinade and sauce) were remarkable. I decided to cook them on a cast iron rack on the Big Green Egg at 400 degrees. After4 preheating for a good long time I oiled the grate and placed the skewers on the rack - and they stuck like glue! I'm not talking about some wimpy glue stick kind of glue - I'm talking industrial strength aircraft epoxy! I salvaged them and finished them in the oven. I'm thinking perhaps next time I'll try a grill pan inside. What do you suppose the cause of the sticking was?

Thanks!

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Sticking Satays

I usually bake these (less cleanup and of course they never stick this way) but I have done them on the BBQ before and did not stick. Sorry to hear about the sticky situation you experienced.

I am not sure exactly why they stuck for you. Perhaps the satays could have used a quick spray of oil before going onto the grill OR perhaps they just needed to be cooked longer and they may have just released on their own. I know if you are grilling and you take things off too soon, they can also stick.

Glad to hear that you still really liked them and that you managed to salvage them! Just curious did you make the peanut sauce to go with them?

Matthew B

Peanut Sauce

Dawn - I did indeed make the peanut sauce. Remarkable! I have ordered a kebab stand to use on the BBQ and will try that soon. In reading reviews elsewhere of other foods cooked on the grill that incorporate sugar (or honey) in a sauce or marinade, apparently sticking is not uncommon. I am hopeful that the kabab set is the answer!

Mike P

Unusual and great

So many great tastes In two sauces. Real hit tonight and I look forward to making it again. Thanks.

Leigh T

peanut allergy

Any thought on a sauce that doesn't use nuts? I would sure like to try them, but can't have nuts in the house.
Thanks.

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Peanut Allergy

I think that this dish is perhaps not the dish for someone that is allergic to nuts as peanuts are in both the marinade and in the sauce. Without the peanuts it's a completely different dish. That being said you can try the marinade without the peanuts or try a different dish like chicken souvlaki with tzatziki sauce. Cheers!

Naouar E

Freezing the marinade

Can I freeze the marinade en use it whenever I crave satay?

Kimberley S
Rouxbe Staff

RE: Freezing the Marinade

I would think the marinade would be fine. It may lose a touch of flavor but it should be okay. You could even vacuum pack the marinade and the meat together. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking. I would think twice about freezing the peanut sauce though. It may suffer and become a bit watery once thawed. Cheers!

Laura A

Food Processor vs Blender

I was wondering when I can use a blender instead of a food processor. Are the times you can use one in exchange for the other, and times when you can't?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Food processor

great question.because i dont have a food processor

Ken R
Rouxbe Staff

Food Processor vs Blender

Hi Laura and Marilyn- There are many areas of overlap and I prefer a food processor for some tasks and a blender for other tasks. Sometimes the factor has more to do with volume and what I want as outcomes. If I want something to be really smooth (purees, smoothies, nut butter, soup), I use a high-speed blender (i.e. Vitamix or Blendtec). For coarser applications like pesto, shredding large quantities of vegetables, and chopping nuts I use a food processor. Enjoy!

You must be a Rouxbe student to ask questions and comment. If you are already a Rouxbe student, please login. Note: Professional certification course students do not have access to this feature. Instead, they have a dedicated Q&A feature built within their accessible course(s). If you'd like access to the content outside of your course, please contact customer service.

Rouxbe Goals

Haven't experienced Rouxbe yet, why not take a free trial to see what the world is talking about.

Rouxbe Students

120,000+ Home cooks that want to learn to cook better (beginner to advanced)
25+ Professional cooking schools as a teaching resource for students
14,000 High school culinary students & their instructors
Training staff from hospitals, grocery stores, hotels & restaurants