Rouxbe Community Forums

Rouxbe Forums Rouxbe Recipe Discussions Rouxbe Video Recipes

Our finest instructional step-by-step video recipes. See what people are talking about.

Users Currently In Forums

Suzanne M Leigh S Margaret T Steve S

Snapper Veracruz

by Dawn T in Rouxbe Recipes

A medley of delightful flavors...layers of snapper, onions, olives, jalapeños and cilantro are topped with fresh tomatoes,...

Comments: 20 Views: 21776 Success: 100%
Naouar E

Substitute for white wine...

This dish looks great. What can I use as a substitute for white wine?

Kimberley S
Rouxbe Staff

Substitutes for White Wine

Hi Naouar,

You can substitute quite a few things for white wine. Try chicken stock or veggie stock. For this recipe, instead of substituting the entire 1/4 cup white wine with just stock, try combining 3 tablespoons of stock with 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to give the liquid some acidity. Taste it before using to see if you like the flavor, and adjust to your liking.

Here's a good link for substitutes.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/alcoholsubstitutes.htm

Enjoy!

Naouar E

Great site!

Just added it to my favorites. Thanks!

Earth T

Good one

Its much like me!

Rupak P

Lovely

I just prepared it and it tastes nice.

Earth T

Like it!

Making it in my kitchen.

Allison P

LOVE this recipe

I have made this dish several times and we love it every time. Its flavors blend beautifully. A light dish that is surprisingly satisfying and filling! I’ve made this with Cod and Halibut and both came out great. I have also made with chicken stock instead of the wine. Which was still great but I do prefer the flavor of an Oaky Chardonnay; I think it sets the dish just right. Well done!!

Sean D

Be careful not to overcook the fish

I did. Just a little bit, but the dish was lovely all the same. It's easy to make and once you've got the ingredients, it's really a matter of getting them all assembled and you have a great dinner.

I used about 1.8 pounds of fish, and it wasn't enough. Or possibly people liked it too much. However we did find some bread (to dip in the sauce) quite useful. And it helped fill us up a bit.

We drank it with the remaining white wine and yes, that went well too.

Marcelo B

Great with Halibut

This dish was very easy to make. I used fresh halibut and served it over Toasted Middle Eastern Couscous. The flavor combination was fantastic. I especially enjoyed the jalapeños, capers and olives. Will make it again.

Coco H

Whole peeled

can you use whole peeled tomato in a can substitute to the fresh tomato that s been blanch

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Whole Peeled Tomatoes in a Can

Yes in a pinch, but fresh would still be nicer.

Allison P

Chicken anyone?

Becoming tired of the same old chicken dishes I decided to switch things up a bit. We love the flavors of this dish so I decided to try it using chicken instead of the fish. I Butterflied a few breasts and extended the cooking time, but other than that I left the recipe as is. It came out amazing.

Vicky V

Great Recipe!

Wonderful!! Reminded me of some of the dishes we get in Almalfi, Italy...yummy. Can't wait to try in summer with homegrown tomatoes. This one is on my favorites list!

Liz D

Snapper worked well too!

I made this dish for dinner last night and it turned out perfectly. I used banana peppers instead of jalapenos since I had a jar that was already open, but other than that I followed the recipe.

I agree with Allison P that this is a light and filling dish. Fish is not a favorite in my household, but I got the comment "it's good, for fish", so I guess it was a winner! :)

I served this with the green bean recipe that's also on Rouxbe and that turned out great too.

Liz

Ruth H

Scarsdale & 2 fish dinners per week

If you're looking for scarsdale happy dinners as we have to cook 2 per week with fish...this one is great. Tonight I'm using cod and diced tomatoes from a can (because I don't have any fresh ones and I don't feel like going out again today) Consider whole foods stuffed green olives with jalopenos and take some of the juice as you do two things at once.

I'm serving the fish over tossed greens with salt and pepper beets and sauteed vegies. Can hardly wait for 6:30, mind you on scarsdale all you think about is your next yummy meal.

Joseph S

I love this dish!...

There is nothing more to be said... :)

Noel G

Fish

Can you use whiting or other types of fish?

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Type of Fish

Yes, you could trying using other types of fish. I would tend to stay with other white fish but you could try experimenting to see what work for you.

Tia L

Yummmmm

Made this last night! Even the kids loved it. So good!

Kat S

Awesome!

I've been cooking for a good chunk of my life and this is one of my favorite dishes I've made! The flavors are fantastic, it's just the right amount of spice, and it's one of the first dishes in a while I haven't had to add salt to at the end of cooking (partially that's because I just finished the section where it talks about how to salt through out cooking). This will definitely be a regular dish in the future :)

p.s. I only had chicken stock so I replaced the wine with it and it was great, I'll be curious to see how it's different next time I make it with the wine

You must be a Rouxbe student to ask questions and comment. If you are already a Rouxbe student, please login. Note: Individual lessons purchased a-la-carte do not include this service.

Rouxbe Goals

Haven't experienced Rouxbe yet, why not take a free trial to see what the world is talking about.

Rouxbe Students

120,000+ Home cooks that want to learn to cook better (beginner to advanced)
25+ Professional cooking schools as a teaching resource for students
14,000 High school culinary students & their instructors
Training staff from hospitals, grocery stores, hotels & restaurants