Rouxbe Community Forums

Vegetable_tagine_pfb_onecolumn

Vegetable Tagine

by Chad S in Rouxbe Recipes

This tagine is simply outstanding—a perfect balance of flavors. Made with onions, carrots, turnips, sweet potato, chickpea...

Comments: 12 Views: 14377 Success: 92%
Mike D

Simply Wonderful!

This is a very simple recipe that I tweaked just a little bit, using less chick peas, slightly more carrots and more olives, and slightly less chile flakes.

I knew that it was a success because it tasted exactly like the tagines served in Moroccan restaurants.

Thank you Rouxbe!!

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Simply Wonderful!

So glad that you liked it Kathy — and nice work on tweaking the recipe to make it your own. Cheers!

Jerry B

Aww...

Now I need sweet potatoes. I have my unused tagine sitting on my cabinets, because I never had a chance to make my intended lamb tagine before we went vegetarian.

Ken R
Rouxbe Staff

Tagine

Jerry- Tempeh in a tagine is delightful, it really benefits from semi-moist but radiant cooking environment of the tagine. Enjoy!

Jerry B

Tempeh...

We tried some tempeh "burger" patties, and we hated them sooo much. Flavor and texture was off. Willing to give it a second go - do you recommend any specific brand or style?

Ken R
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Tempeh

Oh, good question. I only buy tempeh slabs (usually soy and whole grains), which you can use to make "patties" , meatballs or just to replicate ground meat (pulse in a food processor for a few seconds).

I have access to a few local brands where I live, but I'm not sure what you have in Canada where you live. I like to braise tempeh in chunks or crumble it in to other dishes to add body. Cheers!

Jerry B

Most "mock meats" start to get mushy as they cook...

Does tempeh stand up to longer cooking times and retain it's texture?

Ken R
Rouxbe Staff

Tempeh Texture

Hi Jerry- Tempeh gets softer, but still retains it's crumbly texture. Mock meats made from gluten or soy protein tend to get spongy, tempeh does not. I can braise it for an hour or so and still have a great product! Enjoy.

Elizabeth S

Delicious

This is a wonderfully flavorful and healthy recipe. Thank you!

Ken R
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Delicious

Hi Elizabeth- Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that you liked the tagine. Cheers.

Jeanette B

Even Better Next Day

We enjoyed the tagine even more the 2nd day - served cold with freshly-made warm cous-cous. Thanks so much for this great recipe!

Kathleen S

Dinner party food

I served this dish at a dinner party. The guests are big meat eaters. They loved it. I got an email the next day telling me I out did myself. It is beautiful, healthy and very delicious. I had it again tonight and will be serving it again to 4 other meat eater dinner guests. I serve it with Israeli couscous with toasted pinenuts and preserved lemons. I follow the recipe exactly. Why mess with perfection. Thank you Rouxbe.

You must be a Rouxbe student to ask questions and comment. If you are already a Rouxbe student, please login. Note: Professional certification course students do not have access to this feature. Instead, they have a dedicated Q&A feature built within their accessible course(s). If you'd like access to the content outside of your course, please contact customer service.

Rouxbe Goals

Haven't experienced Rouxbe yet, why not take a free trial to see what the world is talking about.

Rouxbe Students

120,000+ Home cooks that want to learn to cook better (beginner to advanced)
25+ Professional cooking schools as a teaching resource for students
14,000 High school culinary students & their instructors
Training staff from hospitals, grocery stores, hotels & restaurants