Rouxbe Community Forums

Rouxbe Forums Rouxbe Recipe Discussions Rouxbe Certified Recipes

Text recipes with video support. Think you can help pick the next Rouxbe Video Recipe? Dive in.

Users Currently In Forums

Suzanne M Glendale keith Y Marco C Wanda A Naomi B

Pancake_onecolumn

Mile-High Pancakes

by Joe G in Rouxbe Recipes

Fluffy, comforting and oh so yummy pancakes!

Comments: 99 Views: 39725 Success: 94%

Ricardo S

round it up with apple

Made it. Very nice. A nice option was adding also some thin slices of apple, toghether with the cheese. It caramelizes and goes very well with the chesse. Thanks.

Steve E
Rouxbe Staff

Kids love them

I halved the recipe and served them with carmelized apples to both my girls. I was regretful I hadn't made the full recipe because I would have had seconds they were just that good. I'd say without a doubt these are the best pancakes I've ever made in my house....of course don't tell Aunt Jemima that.

Marshall T

Butter instead of oil...

I use an the same amount of melted butter instead of the oil, and it works incredibly well, giving the pancakes a sweet, nutty richness.

Oh, and I would say that buttermilk is essential here.

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Nice One!

I am always a fan of substituting butter with oil, wherever I can. And just to be clear for those reading this, you mean the oil in the pancakes, not the oil used to cook them...right!
Good idea! thanks dawn

Eliana R

Swiss cheese!

I tried the cheese thing and it was just delicious! I loved them. Really good. My family loved them too, and they're not big fans of pancakes.

Joe  G
Rouxbe Staff

Great... Glad you Tried Them

We used to cater to film sets and film crews and actors alike, loved these. Sound a bit strange but they are amazing.

Thais C

So Fluffy!

Loved it! I served them with chocolate syrup and it was a total hit!

I've tried lots of other recipes but these are definitely the best pancakes I have ever made! Thanks for the tips!

Susan M

Mile-High Pancakes

I have been making pancakes for almost 50 years and these are definitly the best I have come across. I loved them and so did my grandchildren! Try adding a bit of vanilla -my secret ingredient for any pancake.

Lauren K

The best

Thank you for another hit!
Best pancakes I have ever made!

Robin H

A silver-dollar pancake variation?

I use a very similar recipe for a silver dollar version (which is what my hungry bunch asks for).

1-1/2 c. All Purpose Flour
2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Stick Unsalted Butter (cubed and melted)
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp Salt
1-1/4 c. Buttermilk

Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and slowly add butter. Next, add eggs and stir in buttermilk a bit at a time. On the griddle they go with a bit of butter and cook until bubbly and turn.

The mix is just thick enough that you can control the size of the pancake, but thin enough that they stay individually thin as a silver dollar pancake should.

I use a measuring cup (1/4 c.) to ladle out each portion while cooking.

Richard yassel D

Good rise but, sour taste

The recipe below originally called for 3 tsp of baking powder to get an awesome fluffiness, but the baking powder made it extremely sour and uneatable. My next attempt I used only close to a tsp of B.P. and they were yummy but, no that fluffy. Can anyone help. Is it the kind of baking powder I use? its Foodclub Baking soda. it says for cleaning and baking. Thanks,

Yass.

My home recipe is

dry:
1.5c flour
1.tsp B.powder
1.tbsp sugar
1.tsp salt

Wet:
1 1/2c milk
1 egg
3 tbsp melted butter

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Good Rise But...

Have you tried the Rouxbe recipe (this recipe) for pancakes, they are very good and they rise very nicely. We use this recipe all the time (preferably with the buttermilk).

Try this recipe and see what you think, I would provide a link to the recipe, but this IS the recipe!

K A

WoW ......

I was really afraid to try this recipe at first because of the huge amount of baking powder ,I actually thought it's a typo at first ;D.

The batter is really scary it looked like soap foam ( or at least mine looked like one) but this is by far the best pancake ever.....

Is it possible to substitute some of the flour with pecan or almond flour ?? or will this affect the texture of the pancake?

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: WoW

So glad you liked the pancakes Khaled. The batter does look quite foamy and fluffy, but they sure cook up nicely and they also happen to taste really great. This is certainly a "go-to" pancake recipe.

As for substituting some of the flour for pecan or almond flour, I actually don't know how it would affect things, it may make them a bit more dense. Maybe try substituting 1/3 of the all-purpose flour for another type to start. I suggest trying it and then sharing your feedback with us. Cheers!

Mike G

YUM YUM

Tried out these little babies today with some maple syrup I got from vermont for xmas. I've now replaced my old recipe with this one.
Sometimes simple is better :)

Mike

Joe  G
Rouxbe Staff

Glad you liked them.

Two important things to always remember:

1. Don't over mix (do the second exercise in the wheat/gluten exercise to find out why.

2. Let the batter sit for about ten minutes for the baking powder to start to react and then gently ladle onto griddle (don't mix at all after the first very quick mixing of ingredients). You want all this air in your pancakes.

Cheers, Joe.

Mike G

Thanx!

Helo Joe,

Thanks for the info, I watched the wheat / gluten exercise before but will double watch it again for a refresh.

I'm gonna try out your Sesame-Panko Chicken and Spinach Salad tonight.

//Mike

Michelle W

Ok to mix the dry ingredients ahead of time?

This might be a stupid question, but is there any reason why I couldn't sift the dry ingredients and put them in an airtight bag for use later? Will it turn out the same?

Joe  G
Rouxbe Staff

Mixing dry ahead of time

You can certainly do this but only do it in batches - batches the size that you would make.

If you double, triple, etc the batch and then sift, what can happen is that when you scoop out say a 1/3 of the dry mix, it may not contain the right proportions of salt, sugar, baking powder, etc.

So make a batch, sift, bag. Then make the next batch, sift, bag, etc. so that you end up with consistent results when you add the wet stuff.

Michelle W

Thanks!

Brilliant... I'm going to make up a couple batches now so they're ready for the weekend. :) Thanks, Joe! :)

Michelle W

Measuring dry ingredients...

Oh, one more thing... for measuring out the flour, are you using the dip and sweep method, or spoon method?

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Measuring Dry Ingredients

Honestly we just scoop and sweep but the spoon method would also work. You will see that these pancakes are very easy to make (and measure) the only trick is to not over mix them when you are making the batter. See the lesson on Wheat and Gluten for more info on this.

Good luck, I am sure you will love them! Oh, one more thing, the recipe calls for buttermilk or milk...use the buttermilk, it makes for the best pancakes.

Thais C

Quick question...

Can this batter be storaged in the fridge? There`s plenty left and I didn`t want to trow it out....

Thanks!!

Justin L

Weight

If I were to make these by weight, is there a conversion chart that I should use. Also in the baking recipes that you will be coming out with are they going to but in weight or volume. . . . or both?

Kimberley S
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Weight

We do not have a conversion chart available on Rouxbe yet. One cup of all-purpose flour is the equivalent to 140 grams. For baking recipes that use strict formulas, we will post the measurements in weight as well. Weighing ingredients does provide the most consistent results when baking/making pastries, etc.

In the meantime, here is a good link for some common ingredient conversions. Happy Cooking!

You must be a Rouxbe student to ask questions and comment. If you are already a Rouxbe student, please login. Note: Professional certification course students do not have access to this feature. Instead, they have a dedicated Q&A feature built within their accessible course(s). If you'd like access to the content outside of your course, please contact customer service.

Rouxbe Goals

Haven't experienced Rouxbe yet, why not take a free trial to see what the world is talking about.

Rouxbe Students

120,000+ Home cooks that want to learn to cook better (beginner to advanced)
25+ Professional cooking schools as a teaching resource for students
14,000 High school culinary students & their instructors
Training staff from hospitals, grocery stores, hotels & restaurants