Rouxbe Community Forums

Pancake_onecolumn

Mile-High Pancakes

by Joe G in Rouxbe Recipes

Fluffy, comforting and oh so yummy pancakes!

Comments: 99 Views: 37761 Success: 94%

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: High Altitude Cooking

To quote Chef Tony from this thread:

"High Altitude Cooking - Complex question, for us to answer at this time, just like modifying recipes for diabetes is complex yet quite real and valid. However, my suggestion is seeking out cookbooks that deal with altitude cooking - I'm sure there are some good ones out there. From the top of my head, even Joy of Cooking talks about some general rules, but only general ones. I'm sure there is clearer information out there from sources that have tackled this issue for regional/practical reasons. But I like the fact you offer our forum a suggestion already. Go one step further, try YOUR modifications (note plural, for that's what cooking is all about - going to the drawing board more than once) and post the results. Rouxbe users can be teachers as well as users. As a teacher I often encourage my professional students to TEACH ME something I don't know. Let me know your results."

You may want to check out this thread as Ian P gives some good suggestions. Cheers!

Denise C

High Altitude

Thanks for the link. I checked out some of the threads. I'll continue to post anything I learn about tweaking the recipes for high altitude. I went ahead and made the pancakes and added about 1 TBLS of extra flour. They came out great! Very tasty, light and fluffy! I went with Ricardo S' suggestion about the apple slices but left off the cheese. Just a few thin slices of apple on each came out delicious!!! Even my husband liked it. I can't wait to try the oatmeal raisin recipes. That looks really good!

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: High Altitude Baking

Regarding baking at high altitudes, I just came across this bit of information from Bob's Red Mill that you might find somewhat helpful:

Here are some basic steps for high-altitude adjustments:
Baking Powder: Reduce each teaspoon by 1/8 to
Sugar: Decrease each cup by 1-2 Tbsp
Baking Soda: Reduce just like Baking Powder
Fats: No adjustments needed
Oven Temperature: Increase 25 degrees F
Cooking Time: Increase Slightly
Mixing: Be careful not to over mix. Do not over beat eggs.
Cookies: Usually no adjustments needed.
Yeasted Breads: Decrease the yeast by 1/4 tsp. Use less flour per cup of liquid. Yeast breads rise more quickly at higher altitude, so watch carefully. Bake at higher temperature, for less time.

For more in depth information, you might also want to pick yourself up a good cookbook that is specifically focused on high altitude baking. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Herminia C

relieved

i hesitated before making these pancakes. i was concerned about about the amount of baking powder there was in the recipe. after i made these pancakes i wondered what all the fuss was about. these pancakes were absolutely delicious.

they were fluffy and light, they were also quite filling. as a result there were a lot left over. i decided to freeze them as an experiment. i want to know how they will turn out after they have been reheated.

just one problem though, inspite of the pancakes being fluffy i don't think they rise the way they should have after all i had no buttermilk.
i think i will be using this recipe from now on.

Herminia C

experiment sucessful

i reheated those pancakes i places in the freezer in a toaster oven and it was delicious

Denise C

Banana variation

I have made this recipe several times and it always comes out great. I store extra batter in the fridge wrapped tightly around the bowl. It lasts a few days.

I made them this morning and used a smashed up banana and mixed it in with the wet ingredients before incorporating it into the dry. Came out super delicious!!!! I love banana in pancakes. Probably my favorite variation!!!

Lethie P

Lethie Prentiss

The pancakes are very good and tasty. We don't eat them very often but when we do we pig out. I love to use different flavored syrup. Even some of the home made ones are nice. try them with butter and jalapano jelly, (Home made) between the cakes. Verry good.

Terry F

Taste test with boxed mix and regular milk

We usually make pancakes from a discount boxed mix with ok results. (I know, I know... but at $2.50/box it was tough to resist!). Decided to try out this recipe side by side with the boxed mix and see what the difference was. Didn't have buttermilk so used regular whole milk. Cooked them side by side and then did the tasting. Well my hubby who didn't know which one was which couldn't tell them apart. I had a tough time as well but found the boxed mixed had a slight flour-y taste. Other than that, they were pretty close to identical in looks and taste. Basically - nothing special. Then bought some buttermilk and made this recipe again and the results were unbelievably different. With buttermilk, these pancakes are the BOMB!! Double or maybe even triple the height, delicious flavor, a tad crispy on the outside and soft and tender inside. Just beautiful results and no way we can go back to the boxed mix after this. Then today, made them again and added a small amount of vanilla extract just to see what that was like. Results with the vanilla - meh,,, I personally didn't like the alteration. To me it completely neutralized the tang imparted by the buttermilk to the point of being a bit boring compared to the taste with no vanilla. Still amazing pancakes though and will always make these from now on. Thanks for the great recipe!

Kimberley S
Rouxbe Staff

RE: Taste Test

Excellent that you ran your own taste test and we are happy that you enjoyed the pancakes. If you go a step further and calculate the cost, I'm sure you'll find that these pancakes are even cheaper than $2.50 a box. It's easy to rely on convenience foods, but so freeing when you can make them on your own. It doesn't take much time at all and you know exactly what goes into them. Great job! Cheers!

Suzanne C

Waffles

Has anyone tried this recipe to make waffles in a belgian waffle maker or would there be a variation of this recipe so do so?

Joe  G
Rouxbe Staff

Belgian Waffles

I would not recommend this for Belgian waffles. Belgian waffles are a bit different and typically have whipped egg whites folded into the batter. There should be lots of authentic Belgian waffle recipes out there on the web. Cheers, Joe.

Monique O

pancakes for a crowd!

Hi, I've been away for a while, but ROUXBE is always on my mind!

I'm having a brunch this sunday and for the breakfast part I'm making pancakes (so glad you posted this on FB or I would not have found it!).

My question is how should I multiply this recipe, for 37 adults and 14 children, knowing that there will be other food? I'm doing a pancake bar and a salad bar. I hope this is not too complicated! thanks

Joe  G
Rouxbe Staff

Pancake Multiplying

This recipe makes 8 to 10 pancakes. Not sure what else you are serving but as long as there is other food, I'd prepare for about 1.5 to 2 per person (not all will have it). If you are not having much else, shoot for 2 to 3 per person.

Once you figure that out, then just multiply the recipe to reach your yield. Note: you'll need a good sized griddle to keep up with the demand, but they will be a hit. And don't forget to use buttermilk.

Have fun! Enjoy. Joe

Monique O

Pancake Multiplying

WOW that response was fast. Since pancakes are on the heavy side, I decided to lighten the savory meal with a soup (butternut squash) and salad bar. I'm going to marinate chicken breasts so I'm currently reading up on the marinade lesson! Wish me luck. Oh and I'll be sure to report back on the pancakes! THX

Riley M

Fruit Pancakes

These are amazing with a teeny bit of sliced fruit mixed in the batter.
I find they water down the batter a bit, how can I get rid of some of the excess moisture? Or will I just have to suffer through it? (sarcasm :)

Kimberley S
Rouxbe Staff

RE: Fruit Pancakes

It is best to choose a fruit that has low water content (i.e. apples, blueberries, raspberries, bananas etc). See the notes section in this recipe. You can also place berries on the raw side prior to flipping the pancake over. You can strain the excess liquid from overly wet fruit but you can't really press it (i.e. oranges) to get the liquid out and still maintain its integrity. Some fruits are just better suited with certain dishes than others. Cheers!

Riley M

Keeping Pancakes Hot

Sorry for the double post, but I have another question.
I have a rather large family, and space is limited on the griddle I have, so I have to make the pancakes in a pretty large number of batches. I find they get cold even keeping them covered and on a warmed plate by the time I'm done making all of them. Is there a way to keep them hit for ten minutes, or do I just have to serve them as they're done? Thanks for everything (:

Kimberley S
Rouxbe Staff

RE: Keeping Pancakes Hot

You can keep them on trays for a few minutes in a warm oven but really, pancakes are one of those things that are best served as soon as they are cooked. If you cover them, they can steam and turn soggy. Aside from your griddle, you may also want to get a few pans going as well so you can cook them up faster so you can serve them faster. Cheers!

Jim M

Yummy Wow!

I'm sitting here with a full belly having just made these for the first time. I surprised my wife by offering to make pancakes this morning. As I'm mixing things she asked why I just didn't use Bisquick? My response was that I was trying to learn. After these pancakes I think she'll insist on the real thing from now on.

I'll add my agreements to the other first timers for this recipe; after the quick mix and sit I though I'd messed something up. Too much flour? Was that a typo on the BP? It looked like oozing lava. When I ladled it into the pan I figured "Ok, we're going to have thin limp biscuits." Nope, other than a little temperature control problem on my part (still learning the new cook top) they were great.

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Amount of Baking Powder in Pancake Recipe

The amount of baking powder in the recipe (2 tablespoons) is indeed correct, that is a big reason why the pancakes rise so high. That's why we call them "mile-high pancakes :-)

Glad you like the pancakes. I know they have been in our family (both personal and Rouxbe family) for many years now. Cheers!

Steve E
Rouxbe Staff

Vegan Alternative

With my wife adopting a vegan diet one of the things she missed taking part in was Sunday morning family breakfast made by our kids.
Then we found a Vegan alternative.

For the buttermilk substitute 1 cup of soya milk with 1 tsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
For the egg use 3 tbsp of apple sauce.

I did the Pepsi challenge and I couldn't tell the difference. Actually I liked the texture on the Vegan pancakes better. I think we have a new tradition starting next week.

Dave

Yummy Wow is right!

Steve E got me fired up to try these. Best pancakes ever!

I had to turn down the heat of my stove top to medium low to prevent the pancakes from burning. I was using the green enamel pan which may have been the difference.

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Yummy Wow is Right!

So glad that you liked the pancakes Dave. And yes, cooking is all about adjusting the heat. It will depend on your heat source, the pan you are using, the thickness of the food you are cooking etc. Nice work for trusting your instincts. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Amanda C

Buttermilk Powder

My 9 year old son and I made these substituting the liquid buttermilk with the dried. The pancakes got to be about 1/2 mile high. Not sure if it was the powder or my son being over zealous with the mixing. Still tasted good though:). You've hooked my son into watching cooking videos with me before bed.

Dawn T
Rouxbe Staff

Re: Buttermilk Powder

It is hard to say exactly what might have caused your pancakes not to rise as much. It could have been that they were over mixed or it could have been the buttermilk powder. While there are some bakers that say fresh buttermilk and dried buttermilk are the same, there are those that say they are not. Some bakers even prefer powdered for baking. We have only ever used fresh buttermilk in this recipe.

By the way, I am thrilled to hear that your son and you are watching cooking videos before bed. Hopefully he's not just watching them so he doesn't have to go to bed :-)

You must be a Rouxbe student to ask questions and comment. If you are already a Rouxbe student, please login. Note: Professional certification course students do not have access to this feature. Instead, they have a dedicated Q&A feature built within their accessible course(s). If you'd like access to the content outside of your course, please contact customer service.

Rouxbe Goals

Haven't experienced Rouxbe yet, why not take a free trial to see what the world is talking about.

Rouxbe Students

120,000+ Home cooks that want to learn to cook better (beginner to advanced)
25+ Professional cooking schools as a teaching resource for students
14,000 High school culinary students & their instructors
Training staff from hospitals, grocery stores, hotels & restaurants