All lessons in the Meat section:
A perfectly-cooked steak is a very personal thing. Everyone likes their steak cooked a particular way and to a certain doneness; however, cooking a steak to the perfect doneness consistently can be a challenge – even for a pro. In fact, even amongst professional cooks, there is a debate on how to achieve this.
In this lesson, you will learn how to cook premium steaks using two different methods: the flip-once method and the flip-often method. We will compare the results of each so you can practice and discover which method you might prefer. We will show you how to determine doneness and why it is vital to rest meat prior to serving. You will also learn about the advantages of cooking steaks on the grill and in a pan.
Finally, using the pan method, we will teach you how to make a quick and delicious sauce to accompany your steak.
By learning just a few simple techniques, you will be able to confidently and consistently cook moist and juicy steaks every time.
At the end of this cooking school lesson, you will be able to:
- cook steak to maintain maximum juiciness
- make a quick pan sauce for your steak
- understand why resting steak is important
- understand two different techniques used to cook steak
- understand the importance of cooking temperatures and times when cooking steak
- use a couple of different techniques for checking steak doneness
In partnership with:
Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver