All lessons in the Dry-Heat Cooking Methods section:
Pan frying is one of the most common dry-heat cooking methods, yet many cooks have trouble achieving that nice golden crust when pan frying or they have problems with sticking and burning. Pan frying is an important cooking skill to learn as so many recipes start in the pan.
In this lesson, you will learn the few key indicators to look for when pan frying along with some simple yet effective cooking methods that will enable you to master the art of pan frying.
At the end of this cooking school lesson, you will be able to:
- describe why you need to properly heat a metal pan and the oil before cooking
- heat a metal pan to the correct temperature using the water test method
- describe when to add the oil to the pan and what indicators you need to wait for before adding the food
- understand why it is important to control the pan-frying temperature
- achieve a beautiful, golden crust on foods without them sticking or burning