All lessons in the Rice & Grains section:
For many cultures, cooking rice is a sacred and daily ritual. And when it comes to cooking rice, everyone has their own personal preference.
There are generally four different methods for cooking rice: steaming, boiling, pilaf and risotto, all of which produce very different results. Different methods often require specific types of rice to achieve the desired texture and flavor.
In this lesson, we will teach you how to properly steam and boil rice and when to rinse or soak it. You will learn about the proper ratio of liquid to rice when using various steaming methods. You will also learn how to vary the flavor of plain rice. Finally, you will learn why resting is important and how to prepare rice for serving.
By following just a few simple techniques, you will soon master the art of making flavorful and tender rice.
At the end of this cooking school lesson, you will be able to:
- understand why rice (or grains) is sometimes rinsed and/or soaked
- understand why different types of rice need different ratios of liquid in order to cook
- know how to steam rice (or grains)
- explain the various steaming methods
- know how to boil rice (or grains) using the pasta method
- explain why rice (or grains) should rest before serving
- understand how to enhance and flavor rice (or grains)
In partnership with:
Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver