All lessons in the How to Make Sauce section:
Butter sauce is also called a beurre blanc sauce (“white butter”) or sauce blanc. It is a classic French butter sauce that is often served at fancy restaurants. It is considered by some to be a bit more challenging sauce because it has a tendency to split. Beurre blanc or butter sauce goes well with many vegetables and lean meats and is especially delicious in fish recipes and seafood recipes.
In this lesson, we will show you how to prepare a basic beurre blanc. You will learn how to serve and hold beurre blanc and how to fix it if it happens to split. Finally, we will show you how to vary this elegant sauce to make many other delicious sauces.
At the end of this cooking school lesson, you will be able to:
- identify the main components of a butter sauce or beurre blanc
- make a butter sauce or beurre blanc sauce
- understand how to properly hold and serve a butter sauce or beurre blanc
- know how to fix a split a butter sauce or beurre blanc sauce
- know how to vary a butter sauce or beurre blanc to create a variety of different sauces
In partnership with:
Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver