All lessons in the Breads, Doughs & Batters section:
Making bread is an ancient and magical art. By combining four simple ingredients – flour, water, yeast and salt – you can learn to make a beautiful loaf of crusty bread, using your very own hands.
While there are endless types of bread that one can make, in order to make a basic loaf of bread, a beginner baker must first understand the functions of the fundamental ingredients. Once these concepts are understood, working with additional ingredients and more complex techniques will be much easier to understand and execute down the road.
In this lesson, you will learn about flour, yeast, water and salt and their functions in bread making. You will also learn about the necessary tools required for making basic bread. In the next lesson, you will learn about the stages of bread making, so you can bake crusty loaves of bread in your own kitchen.
At the end of this cooking school lesson, you will be able to:
- identify suitable flours for bread making
- understand the role flour plays in bread making
- identify types of yeast for bread making
- understand the role yeast plays in bread making
- understand the roles of water and salt in bread making
- identify the necessary tools required for making basic bread
In partnership with:
Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver