All lessons in the Breads, Doughs & Batters section:
Wheat is one of the most common grains used in every day foods. In this lesson you get an “inside look” into gluten – the magical component in wheat that enables us to make so many wonderful products. You will learn what gluten is, where it comes from, and when gluten is and isn’t your friend.
At the end of this cooking school lesson, you will be able to:
- understand the general composition of wheat
- understand what gluten is
- know when gluten development is desired and when it is not
- select the most appropriate flour for a recipe and understand why
- read the nutritional label on flour and determine the type by its protein content