Lessons > Poultry Fundamentals
Whether you choose to cook turkey, chicken, quail, Cornish hen or duck (or any other type of poultry), it’s important to realize that each bird has relatively the same anatomy.
Once you understand that each part – the legs, the breasts and the wings – is composed of different muscle tissue, you can begin to understand which cooking methods are best suited to each part – no matter which type of bird you choose to cook.
In this lesson, you will learn about the basic anatomy of poultry and the difference between white and dark meat. You will also learn which cooking methods are best suited to each part of poultry. Finally, you will learn how to buy, store and thaw poultry.
- explain the difference between white and dark meat
- understand the basic muscle composition of poultry legs and identify which cooking methods are best suited
- understand the basic muscle composition of poultry breasts and identify which cooking methods are best suited
- understand the basic muscle composition of poultry wings and identify which cooking methods are best suited
- identify fresh poultry
- store and thaw poultry safely
||START: Watch Lesson Platform Tour|
|1.||Introduction: Poultry Fundamentals||2 mins||
|2.||Complete Your Self Assessment||2 mins||
|3.||Poultry | White vs. Dark Meat||2 mins||
|4.||Poultry Legs & Cooking||45 mins||
|5.||Poultry Breasts & Cooking||45 mins||
|6.||Poultry Wings & Other Parts & Cooking||45 mins||
|7.||Buying, Storing & Thawing Poultry||2 mins||
|8.||Break Down a Chicken||5 mins||
|9.||Labeling Sections of Chicken||5 mins||
|10.||More Butchering Practice||45 mins||
|11.||Practice Activities & Recipes||45 mins||
|12.||Lesson Quiz||15 mins||
|Finish Line||4 hrs 18 mins||Total Time|
Prerequisites & Related Lessons
What People Are Saying
|"Learned a lot with this lesson." Aameer thapa-modernist cuisine C.||★★★★★|
7,230 students from beginner to advanced have completed this lesson from 76 countries.