To make the hummus, first peel the garlic and then puree it using a food processor. Next, add the chickpeas, tahini and spices. Pulse a few times and then add the fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper and puree again. With the machine running, slowly add in the oil until you reach the desired consistency.
To serve the hummus, drizzle the surface with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil and season with a bit of freshly cracked pepper or add a few cooked chickpeas for garnish. Serve it with some warm pita bread or some vegetables, for a quick and health snack.
- 1 small garlic clove (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 - 19 oz can, drained)
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin or 1/2 tsp Monsoon Balti Spice (see note below)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper