*If cooking dried beans from scratch, soak over night and cook them first. If using canned cannellini beans, drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
**Note: For a complete plant-based (vegan) version of this soup omit the pancetta and use a vegan pesto and parmesan cheese, if desired.
To prepare your mise en place, finely dice the pancetta (if using). Émincé the garlic lengthwise. Cut the carrots, celery and onion all into medium-dice pieces. Drain, seed and chop the tomatoes (the remaining juice can be used in another recipe). Set aside.
Note: De-seeding the tomatoes is optional, but it is highly recommended because the seeds can often be bitter.
- 1/2 cup dried cannellini beans* (approx. 1 cup cooked)
- 2 oz pancetta** (optional)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup carrots (approx. 2)
- 1/2 cup celery (approx. 2)
- 1 1/2 cups onion (1 medium)
- 1 - 15 oz can whole tomatoes (15 oz)