To make this stock, first rinse the chicken bones under cold water and then place into a large stock pot.
Roughly chop the onions, leeks and celery and place into the pot. Cut the head of garlic in half. Roughly chop the carrots and add both to the pot. Add the peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, drained whole tomatoes and parsley. Finally, add the cold water and bring everything to a simmer. Let the stock simmer gently for 4 to 6 hours. Skim the stock occasionally to remove any impurities that float to the surface.
- 6 lb chicken bones (backs & necks)
- 2 large onions
- 1 whole leek (optional)
- 1 stalk celery (with leafy tops)
- 4 heads garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 20 whole, black peppercorns
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 3 whole cloves (optional)
- 1 can drained, whole tomatoes (796 ml/28 oz)
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley (1 cup w/ stems, or even just stems)
- 6 liters/quarts cold water (enough to cover bones completely)