Kombu Dashi Stock
This plant–based version is a subtle yet delicious stock. It is a simple variation of dashi broth, and a perfect flavorful liquid for simmering seitan. Chad Sarno
- Serves: 4 to 5
- Active Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Views: 12,750
- Success Rating: 0% (?)
Step 1: Preparing the Stock• 2 small shallots, peeled
• 4 to 5 garlic cloves
• 1 small piece of fresh ginger, sliced
• 1 fresh or dried chile
• 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
• 4 pieces dried kombu strips, cut in 3–inch lengths
• 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
• 2 1/2 cups water
• 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
To prepare the stock, in soup pot, add all ingredients and bring to a simmer on medium–high heat.
Lower to medium heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
If using as a stock for soup, remove from heat, let cool for 20 minutes and strain.