In the United States, it’s estimated that one in six people gets foodborne illness each year—the equivalent of about 48 million cases of foodborne illness. Many people get foodborne illness but don’t realize it. Foodborne illness can be as harmless as an upset stomach, but can commonly appear as …Click to expand...
- Identify common causes of foodborne illness
- Learn simple techniques to prepare food safely, such as handwashing
- Maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen
- Interpret signs of freshness for purchasing the freshest foods
- Store food for maximum safety and shelf-life
- Follow simple steps to avoid cross-contamination
- Cook food to optimize flavor and safety
Foodborne illness can be an issue both inside and outside of the home, regardless of how well we think we know our food supply chain. Symptoms can range from an upset stomach to nausea, diarrhea or vomiting. In this unit, you’ll learn techniques and habits to keep your loved ones happy and healthy.