Knowledge Base > Eric Wynkoop - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)

Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)

Eric Wynkoop - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)

This event was on Tuesday, January 02, 2024 at 11:00 am Pacific, 2:00 pm Eastern

Join Chef Eric Wynkoop in his virtual office as he welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to Ask Anything – from cooking techniques to co… Read More.



With the addition of gluten-free soy sauce to grocery shelves—do you think it will create the same flavors as tamari?

— Char Nolan


So I'm gonna start off by saying that, you know, as we make a change to food production, whether it's, uh, producing soy sauce in a factory, or if it's, you know, preparing something at home and we make ingredient substitutions, um, if we're making a change, we can reasonably expect the end result to be different from what we started with. And I think, I think that's, that's fair, right? Um, now with something like, uh, gluten-free soy sauce, it's gonna be, it's gonna be close, it's gonna be similar to the, uh, original, and I think, uh, you know, it's gonna work for most people most of the time. Um, if you come from, uh, uh, a, uh, an environment or an upbringing where, um, uh, you, you, you become very finicky about soy sauce, then, uh, you might notice the difference, uh, more readily. Okay? And then, uh, so to that, I would say that still, if you're, uh, in a position where you have decided to make the change for whatever reason, to a gluten-free version of the soy sauce, then with that change must come the mental change as well. And, uh, that means allowing yourself to enjoy this new version of the product or, you know, the new version of the food that you prepare. Okay? Um, you know, I'm a believer, uh, when it comes to so many things in life that 90% of it is mental, and the other 10% is just doing it right. Uh, sometimes just getting outta the bed and having the motivation to start a project right, is 90% mental. Um, allowing ourself to enjoy a new food or flavor, uh, is often mental. It tastes different from what we grew up with. It tastes different from what our expectation is. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it just means we need to allow ourself to get used to it. Now, again, I'm not talking about folks that have an allergy, right? Or some other, um, uh, you know, condition, right? That, uh, you know, creates, um, uh, an undesirable reaction. I'm talking about most of us, most of the time as we deal with change.
Eric Wynkoop

Eric Wynkoop

Director of Culinary Instruction