Into a small bowl, break up the achiote paste. Add the oregano and cumin and mash with a fork.
Next, add the lime juice, vinegar, oil, garlic and chipotle sauce. Mix to combine then add the salt and pepper and taste for seasoning. Add a touch more salt or pepper, if needed.
If you like things a bit more spicy, you can add some of the chipotle peppers from the can. Some people even add toasted and ground chile de arbol to the marinade for extra heat.
- 2 oz achiote paste (ground annatto seed paste)
- 2 to 3 limes (approx. 6 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white or red)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp chipotle adobo sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper