*Note: Nutritional yeast can be found at most health food stores. It is worth searching out, as this is what gives the sauce its "cheesy" flavor.
**Note: If using coconut oil, first melt it so it is pourable. You may or may not want to use an aroma-free coconut oil. Depending on how much you like the taste of coconut oil, as it will slightly alter the taste of the dish.
Gather the ingredients and set aside.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 4-8 hours
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast*
- 1/3 cup coconut or grapeseed oil**
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- nutmeg (optional, to taste)