Ken Rubin - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)
Ask Rouxbe's Chief Culinary Officer Anything!
About this Event
Join Chef Ken Rubin in his virtual office as he welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to Ask Anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Ken is ready to answer them all.
Take advantage of this once a year chance to ask Rouxbe's Chief Culinary Officer anything!
About Ken Rubin
Ken Rubin is a nationally recognized chef, educator, food anthropologist and with over 25 years of broad culinary industry experience. He currently serves as the Chief Culinary Officer at Rouxbe, the world’s leading online culinary school that has helped over 600,000 people learn to cook better. Rouxbe delivers technique focused culinary instruction to home cooks, professional cooks and healthcare professionals around the world through leading edge partnerships with organizations such as Marriott International, Compass USA, The James Beard Foundation, Hyatt Hotels, Trilogy Health Services, Wegmans, The American College of Lifestyle Medicine and many others.
Ken has also held top-level teaching and executive leadership positions at well-respected culinary academies and training organizations including Le Cordon Bleu Schools North America, Chefs.com, the Art Institute of Portland, and the Natural Epicurean Academy.
Ken currently serves as the Chair of the James Beard Foundation’s Broadcast Media Awards Committee which oversees the national recognition for television, film, radio, and online food media content. Ken previously served as a Board Director for the International Association Culinary Professionals (IACP) before joining as Trustee and Chair of The Culinary Trust, IACP’s philanthropic foundation founded by Julia Child.
Ken is a regular speaker and presenter at culinary and medical conferences. He received his BA from Colorado College and an MA in anthropology from the University of Texas at Austin. He and his family enjoy cooking and eating in Portland, Oregon.
Tuesday, August 8th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- What is the best way to roast vegetables without coating with oil?
- Would you teach us how to make your mother's whole wheat pita bread?
- I signed up for the intro to pastry and baking course. Probably won't get through all the material in 4 months. Will I get a certificate?
- Is there a way to cook, "roast" corn on the cob in a no oil cooking pan technique, or something like that. I'm in an apartment, don't have outdoor facility, etc but I'd love to have the roasted flavor.
- Do you have any suggestions on modifying a dressing recipe that is just balsamic vinegar, garlic and olive oil - what is a good substitute for the oil in this situation?
- Do you have recommendations for salad dressings that are sugar free and low sodium content?
- Do you have recommendations on vegan meat options that are 4% or less fat grams and low sodium?
- When a recipe calls for 2 cups of nuts soaked overnight, do you mesure the nuts before or after soaking?
- I just bought a bunch of kale at the market and decided to dehydrate half of it. The taste is pretty bland and neutral. Any suggestion of how to use it in cooking?
- How do I keep the insides of stainless cookware shiny and beautiful the way it was when my mom used it for years?
- When roasting vegetables, is there a rule of thumb for choosing a glass dish or a metal roasting pan?
- I've been trying to get a sourdough starter going for two weeks. The ratio I've been using is 14g starter, 60g water, 60g flour. It's nice and bubbly and smells right, but it does not double in size after I feed it. Is my ratio off?
- Since Forks over Knives promotes no-oil cooking and food, what about fish oil supplements?
- If someone is eating plant based purely for health reasons and profoundly misses meat and dairy; what is the best way to choose plant based recipes to in time satisfy this
- Having cut up many an onion for the variety of tasks in FOK, I am wondering how you would describe a large/med/small onion size-wise.
- I need to buy a 10” frying pan for no oil frying. Have very limited budget (£40 max) and the range is huge. Should description say stainless steel, non stick? Does Non-stick mean coated? Some say aluminium stainless steel?
- About making your own (low fat) coconut milk from homemade oat milk plus coconut extract. On Amazon there are coconut essences and coconut extracts. Are these the same? And how much to use per 100ml milk?
- I would love to learn more about turning my cooking into a business. Will Rouxbe ever consider offering a course on this?
- I tried two recipes from the new Esselstyn cookbook. The final result did not stick together. Would adding a flax meal/water mix (egg substitute) hold the recipe together?
- If I were a fly in your kitchen after a very busy day at work, what would be your quick, easy, plant-based dinner to put together and serve in under 30 minutes. Also, do you batch cook?