Wild Mushroom Gravy | No-Oil
- Serves: 4 to 5
- Active Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 1 hr
- Views: 17,503
- Success: 0%
Step 1: Starting the Gravy• 1 small red or white onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 cups wild mushrooms of choice such as shimiji, trumpets, chanterelles or inoki, cleaned and sliced or diced, if needed
• 3 tbsp dried mushroom powder (dried mushrooms ground in spice grinder)
• 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
• 1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
• 1 1/2 cups madeira or marsala wine
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 1/2 tbsp tamari (wheat-free preferred for gluten-free recipe)
• 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
• freshly ground black pepper, to taste
First, prepare your mise en place.
To start the gravy, bring a fry pan to medium–high heat. Add the onions, stirring occasionally. When the onions begin to become translucent and stick, add the garlic and fresh herbs. Cook for 30 seconds or so and add the mushrooms. Stir well for 2 minutes until mixture begins to stick.
Next, add the wine, pouring evenly around the pan and deglaze. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced by half. Follow by adding the vegetable stock, dried mushroom powder, tamari, vinegar, freshly–ground black pepper and nutritional yeast.
Bring to a simmer and lower heat to medium–low. Allow to simmer an additional 4 minutes before adding the slurry.
Step 2: Preparing the Slurry and Finishing the Gravy• 3 tbsp Gluten–Free Flour
• 1/2 cup vegetable stock