Beefless Lettuce Wraps
- Serves: 6 to 8
- Active Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Views: 8,293
- Success: 0%
Step 1: Making the Sauce• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
• 2 tbsp dry sherry or Shao Hsing rice wine
• 1 tsp sambal oelek, or to taste
To make the sauce, simply mix the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Cooking the Beefless Ground• 1 tbsp peanut oil (or grapeseed)
• 1 tsp dark sesame oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
• 4 green onions, minced
• 1 (13.7-oz) pkg of Gardein Beefless Crumble
• 3/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in water, stems removed and diced
• 1 cup water chestnuts, diced
• 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
• 1 small head iceberg lettuce, leaves removed whole
• 1 to 2 green onion, sliced on the bias
To start the dish, heat a large, non-stick fry pan or wok over medium heat. Add the oils, followed by the ginger, garlic and green onions. Stir and cook the aromatics for a couple of minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic.
Add the diced shiitake and Beefless Crumble and break up any big clumps. Cook until lightly browned, about 4 to 6 minutes.
Next, add the red pepper and water chestnuts. Let cook for a minute or two. Then add the sauce and toss to evenly coat the ingredients. Let simmer for a few minutes, until the liquid reduces and thickens. Turn the heat to low and keep warm.
To serve the lettuce wraps, scoop a bit of the mixture into a lettuce cup and top with some of the green onions. Serve with additional sambal, if desired.