Lessons > Wheat & Gluten
Wheat is one of the most common grains used in every day foods. In this lesson you get an “inside look” into gluten – the magical component in wheat that enables us to make so many wonderful products.
You will learn what gluten is, where it comes from, and when gluten is and isn’t your friend.
- understand the general composition of wheat
- understand what gluten is
- know when gluten development is desired and when it is not
- select the most appropriate flour for a recipe and understand why
- read the nutritional label on flour and determine the type by its protein content
||START: Watch Lesson Platform Tour|
|1.||Wheat & Gluten||2 mins||
|2.||Complete Your Self Assessment||2 mins||
|3.||The Composition of Wheat||8 mins||
|4.||Semolina & Couscous||4 mins||
|5.||What is Gluten?||4 mins||
|6.||Types of Flour | Uses & Mixing||20 mins||
|7.||Image Select: Developing Gluten||5 mins||
|8.||Activity: Prepare Pancake Batter||25 mins||
|9.||Practice Activities & Recipes||45 mins||
|10.||Lesson Quiz||10 mins||
|Finish Line||2 hrs 5 mins||Total Time|
Prerequisites & Related Lessons
What People Are Saying
|"Great structure easy to follow and yummy recipes." Gg L.||★★★★★|
10,182 students from beginner to advanced have completed this lesson from 76 countries.