Eric Wynkoop - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)
Ask Rouxbe's Director of Culinary Instruction Anything!
About this Event
Join Chef Eric Wynkoop in his virtual office as he welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to Ask Anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Eric is ready to answer them all.
About Eric Wynkoop
Eric Wynkoop previously served as a founding faculty member at The International Culinary School, instructor in anthropology at Portland State University, and Senior Instructor at the Le Cordon Bleu program at Western Culinary Institute, in Portland, Oregon. He holds Master’s Degrees in postsecondary education and cultural anthropology, as well as credentials in Ayurveda wellness and cooking.
Eric has spent more than twenty years in the food and beverage industry. His experiences include banquet management, catering, personal chef, winery cellar hand, educator, textbook contributor, consultant, and ethnographer. He also brings food and cultural insight from nearly a decade of residence in Japan, studies in Mexico, and research in India as a Fulbright Scholar. After graduating from the University of Oregon with a dual degree in Japanese and Asian Studies, he went on to receive his formal culinary training at Western Culinary Institute, in Portland, Oregon.
Eric’s role with Rouxbe is central to enhancing the student experience through quality course content and new course development at Rouxbe. Eric is also the lead instructor in Rouxbe courses, a role which he has enjoyed since 2016.
Tuesday, January 30th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- I’ve never heard of liquid smoke. Please help me to understand this ingredient. Also, is there a substitute ingredient I could use instead of the liquid smoke?
- I have loved my cast iron cookware that I've used for more than 45 years, but especially the larger pieces are getting harder and harder to manage because of weight. What do I switch to?
- I am highly allergic to hot peppers. I do see recipes with chilli powder and things on this nature, how can I substitute without losing the taste of recipe?
- I am just starting to stir fry. How much of the nutrients are destroyed by frying? Would it be healthier to air fry?
- When do you use pink peppercorn?
- What are your favorite refrigerator storage containers?
- Should I be using less heat when sautéing as my pan rapidly turns black?
- What is the healthiest recipe from Costa Rica? It seems to be a combination of corn, butternut pumpkin and black beans. What is the best way of processing corn for cooking in that recipe?
- I want to buy a grill pan. Square size and I don't want cast iron. Any suggestions. I live alone so 80% of the time I am only cooking for one or three people.
- How do you know if a nut or grain is rancid?
- Are all yellow potatoes considered the same? Yukon gold, Dutch Yellow. And if a recipe calls for Yukon Gold what could be used as an alternate?
- What % protein will be and how do you convert a mix of black beans, corn and pumpkin as an alternative to meat?
- Is the procedure for sharpening santuko knive different from that for a regular chef knife? How is it done? How frequently should sharpening be done for santuko knives used in a vegan home kitchen?
- Can you share the recipe for your miso soup that you and your family enjoy every morning?
- What is the best way to impart flavor to veggies you might be roasting or air frying when most spices won’t stick without oil?
- I am new to a whole foods plant based lifestyle. Since we don’t use oil- what would be the best way to get soft Kale?
- How do you extract inside content of each corn kernel to discard their cellulose covers?
- Which knives do you prefer from your range? How do you keep them very sharp?
- How do I meal plan and meal prep for a family of 6 Mom, Dad, 4 children ages 2-10...one has allergies.
- Articles about turmeric from India show a very high level of lead. Are there any other safe sources of turmeric?
- I'd love to hear about any Ayurveda wellness & cooking advice you may have to help enhance the healing of the body and mind with PTS.
- I'm having a hard time setting up my kitchen. It's just my wife and I and it's her kitchen. Are there examples of Forks over Knives in a two chef kitchen?
- When prepping vegetables like peppers carrots and celery, is it best to keep them in a jar with water?
- I made 10-bean soup & soaked the beans overnight, cooked all day in slow cooker (on high 4 hrs, low 4 hrs) but the beans were a bit hard in the middle. Can I fix the soup?
- Can you recommend a pancake recipe that will do well with oven baking?
- If a recipe calls for Sea salt. Could Himalayan Pink salt be used as well?
- How do you keep bread starter alive through winter?
- What I have learned is that nuts should be kept in the fridge in order to prevent them from going rancid, is it the same thing for grains?
- Where are several good sites to purchase spices and herbs?