Lessons > How to Make Broth-Based Clear Soup
Broth-based clear soups are highly-flavorful, clear liquids that have been made by simmering meat, fish and/or vegetables in a liquid.
Present in every culture, classic examples of these extremely satisfying and homey soups are Vietnamese phở, matzo ball, Italian brodo, and chicken noodle. Eve…Click to expand...
- define what a broth-based clear soup is and understand its characteristics
- explain the process of making a broth-based clear soup from scratch
- make a broth-based clear soup from scratch
- understand the difference between a basic broth and a soup broth
- understand the reason for blanching meat and/or bones and how to do it
- understand how to add garniture to a broth-based clear soup in order to maintain its clarity
|START: Watch Lesson Platform Tour
|Introduction: How to Make Broth-Based Clear Soup
|Complete Your Self Assessment
|Starting a Clear Soup Broth
|Finishing a Clear Soup Broth
|Adding Ingredients to Broth Soups
|Practice Activities & Recipes
Prerequisites & Related Lessons
What People Are Saying
|"My wife said the chicken soup I made was restaurant quality. I didn't have any Thyme so I used cilantro which we love. I will make chicken soup as a regular part of our diet now."
|"very well done"
|"I really like the new lesson format. It was a complete idea that was easy to finish in one weekend and gave all the basics required. I frequently forget the difference between stock and broth (when I was growing up I only ever saw stock soups being made). I made the Pho soup at the end of the lesson and substituted chicken for the beef. It came out very nice. I was happy the lesson taught me how I could substitute ingredient."