Dan Marek - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)
Ask Rouxbe's Director of Plant-Based Culinary and Development Anything!
About this Event
Join Chef Dan Marek in his virtual office as he welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to Ask Anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Dan is ready to answer them all.
About Dan Marek
Dan Marek is a chef educator who has been teaching vegan and vegetarian cooking for over 15 years. At Rouxbe, he is our Director of Plant-Based Culinary and Development where he helps develop content, classes and builds courses for many of our partners.
Dan is a board member of Slow Food Austin, the Institute of Child Nutrition, and Conscious Capitalism. He has earned his BA in Journalism from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and holds certificates in Nutrition from Cornell University.
Prior to his role with Rouxbe, Dan worked with Whole Kids Foundation training teachers and food service at schools acroos the country on nutrition and culinary best practices. He also worked as a Healthy Eating Educator at Whole Foods Market’s flagship store in Austin, TX, was a personal chef for some of Austin’s elite business people, taught classes in culinary techniques at Austin Community College, The Natural Epicurean, and Le Cordon Bleu.
Dan also regularly volunteers cooking or speaking about nutrition for the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, Marathon Kids, Health Alliance for Austin Musicians, and the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Austin and Central Texas.
Tuesday, August 9th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- What is the next best ingredient to use as a sweetener other than dried fruit?
- What ingredients or method would produce a firm, chewy veggie burger? Bean-based burgers taste good, but they seem too mushy.
- Aside from mushrooms and nuts, suggestions for meaty burgers?
- Do you have any tips for making cashew cream smooth and creamy? I have tried soaking the cashews for longer without success, it comes out rather coarse.
- How do you get food to stay warm so that it's not cold by the time you start eating it?
- My local farmer just gave us 3 lbs of Swiss Chard today. I have no earthly idea what to do with it/ Any ideas?
- I am in the habit of using a garlic press whenever a recipe calls for chopped or minced garlic. Is this OK or is it better to use a knife?
- As I reset my pantry, are the items going to last well enough in properly closed mason jars (lids with rubber seals) vs leaving them in their original manufacturer zip close plastic pouch? Or are they better off in their original pkg? Spoilage concern.
- What do you think about using TVP (textured vegetable protein) in dishes?
- In sautéing without oil is it important to not add any liquid at the beginning as opposed to a brief amount of water or stock?
- There is a formula for chocolate mousse that calls for 4 avocados. Could I please get a specific size or better a weight in grams for that? Also. The final written is 100 pts/ 10% of our grade. And the practical/showcase says it is 50 pts/10%??
- Do unopened, dried plums (prunes) freeze well?
- My sauce broke, which to me means it is not creamy with some curdling of the cream. Is that because I substituted half-n-half, or because I need to practice my technique?
- This decade I will begin a chain of independent schools. Nutrition and our midday meal hour will be an important part of our curriculum. Do you have any suggestions for “must reads?”