Fran Costigan & Vesanto Melina - Protein Packed Treats
You can treat yourself with some healthy protein too!
About this Event
Explore the world of protein-enriched treats with Chef Fran Costigan and Registered Dietitian Vesanto Melina in an insightful discussion that strikes a harmonious balance between flavor, texture, and nutrition, without compromising your commitment to a healthier lifestyle.
Fran and Vesanto will discuss options for higher protein treats that satisfy. Bring your questions for Fran and Vesanto!
About Fran Costigan & Vesanto Melina
Fran Costigan is internationally renowned as the authority on vegan desserts. Trained at the New York Restaurant School and Natural Gourmet Institute, Fran was a chef in both traditional and vegan pastry kitchens before moving into teaching over 20 years ago. A lifelong chocoholic and long time vegan, Fran’s latest book, Vegan Chocolate: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy Free Desserts, (Running Press 2013) is for all who madly, deeply love chocolate desserts, whether or not dietary considerations are an issue.
Her previous cookbook, More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally (Book Publishing Company 2006) is the basis of the Costigan Vegan Baking Boot Camp Intensive®.
For more information, www.francostigan.com.
Vesanto Melina is a Canadian Registered Dietitian and co-author of books that have become classics in the field of vegetarian, vegan, and raw foods nutrition, have sold almost a million copies in English and are in nine additional languages (Italian, Dutch, Traditional Chinese, Czech, French, Portuguese, Hebrew, Russian and Polish). She has presented talks and workshops on various aspects of vegetarian, vegan and raw foods and nutrition for dietitians, health professionals, and vegetarian associations in 17 American states and 9 Canadian provinces, and in 10 countries (in Europe-Paris, Copenhagen, Aarhus, Dresden, Ghent, Barcelona, Oxford, London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Venice).
Her first book, Becoming Vegetarian, co-authored with Brenda Davis and Victoria Harrison, grew from her classes. It was published in 1993 in Canada, and in the US in 1994.
Thursday, October 19th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- How much protein can be consumed in a day and is it good if we intake a large amount of protein if we are in a low crab diet?
- I need recipes that are protein packed but school-friendly- no nuts, and a preference for no tahini or sunflower seeds, no oats and gluten free! Substitution suggestions?
- What is an accurate method to measure medjool dates? Weight?
- I have been making my own salted caramel maple cream sauce from sap to syrup. I have been making a vegan version using coconut cream and vegan butter. After I seal in jars it will separate. Why?
- I soaked dried lupine beans overnight. Cooked them for 90 min. Then soaked again for 6 days changing the water daily. They're still firm. Any tips?
- Fran, any sweet treat recipes to recommend based on Vesanto's recommendations?
- What do you recommend in terms of protein amount and sources a vegan female athlete should be eating?
- When a recipe asks for coconut butter, what would be a good substitute that also helps the torte set up?
- Any dessert ideas with pine nuts?
- How can tahini stay usable without refrigeration?
- T. Colin Campbell suggests 10-15% fat. I'm asking because I don't eat meat so I'm trying to follow a low-fat whole foods diet.
- What are some of the best ways to boost protein without also adding more fat?
- With chocolate chips, could you explain the type of chocolate to buy and not buy: "healthy" cocoa powder?
- Are there options for the chocolate without caffeine?
- What can I add besides nutritional yeast? I don't like the flavor.
- Can you suggest an easy fruit and dark chocolate recipe?
- Can you suggest an easy protein packed treats low in fat and carbohydrates?
- Is it best to aim for satisfying protein requirements in each meal, or to spread protein intake across the day?
- Can you cook desserts in the instant pot?
- What ideas might you have for a “fun dessert” that is nut-free and oil-free for Thanksgiving dinner?
- I am allergic to nuts but super interested in adding protein to my diet.
- How can I make protein packed treats that will get me through a stressful day at work and 45 minute workout?
- What is the best way to get the outside layer (skins) off from chick peas?
- It is safe to add protein powder to home made flour mixture?