Char Nolan - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)
Bring all of your questions for one of Rouxbe's Chef Instructors!
About this Event
Join Chef Char Nolan in her virtual office as she welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to ask anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Nolan is ready to answer them all.
About Char Nolan
Char Nolan is a serious crusader for plant-based education, armed with a degree in public health from Philadelphia’s Temple University. She teaches nutrition and plant-based cooking throughout Philadelphia, and in many underserved communities. Char holds a certificate in plant-based nutrition from eCornell and completed Rouxbe’s Plant-Based Professional Certification course in 2015. In 2019, Char completed post-graduate course work in social media marketing at the University of the Arts. When she is not cooking or teaching, she manages social media accounts for several plant-based influencers.
Char prides herself on learning everything she knows about cooking from growing up in her grandparents’ Italian restaurant. Her favorite vegetables are Brussels sprouts and kale, of course. Char originally hails from Queens, NY, but has lived in Philadelphia most of her adult life. She is a former Peace Corps Volunteer.
Tuesday, January 23rd
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- How do you recommend recipe management? Do you always follow them? You are an expert and I guess you don't follow recipes at all. But what's the best way to approach them?
- Is there a Rouxbe lesson on step-by-step on how to do non-oil sauté? Can it be made in any type of pan?
- Can you please say a few words about how to cook to avoid the bloat caused by beans?
- How can I maintain the WFPB diet when traveling?
- Since I am eating so many vegetables now cleaning them is really important to me, even the organic ones. Do you have any suggestions on the best method?
- I have had no luck creating the perfect vegan burger, do you have a recommendation of a recipe that will hold up well on a grill?
- Are there any non cheese substitutes that are nutritious?
- Any suggestions what to do with the vegetables used to make a soup stock?
- I made the sweet/sour tofu and the tofu turned out quite rubbery. Is that how it's supposed to be? I'm a newby with tofu!
- Do you line the pan when making pancakes for oven cooking?
- Do you recommend using a vegetable wash to clean vegetables?
- You mentioned that you don't use salt. Since Rouxbe, I am experimenting with salt as I layer. ie. making pasta, cooking beans, etc. What do you do?
- Do you have a favorite WFPB Valentines / Galentines Day treat?
- Do certain flours work better without oils? I used cassava flour to make the pancakes and it stuck to the pan. Would other flours like brown rice flour do the same? Thank you,
- Since I have been learning how to dice, julienne, etc. from this course, I bought new knives and a wood cutting board. I have oiled the board but am wondering how to keep it super clean?
- Do you place your air pan on top of a regular baking sheet so oil does not drip into oven?
- After blanching vegetables and shocking them in an ice bath, how do you suggest bringing them back up to serving temperature while maintaining their vibrancy?
- If I am roasting vegetables without oil, do I need to dry them first if I am going to toss them in a liquid anyway before I roast?
- Is there an alternative food that can replace cashews in the recipes? I'm discovering that cashews don't agree with my body!
- I have had to cook oil-free lately and wondered if there is another option for achieving crispy food?
- Does using a plant based milk that has been opened for a few days (4 or 5) in a dish shorten the shelf life of the dish itself or does cooking it extend the life of the plant milk?
- Is there a reason for peeling carrots for soup? Would cutting smaller chunks of vegetables make a more flavorful stock since there is more surface space exposed?
- Please clarify how to sharpen my japanese shun 5.5 inch vegetable knife. Are there any differences in use?
- Do you have any hacks for the tuna-less salad?
- What are the essential elements in a sauce?