Fran Costigan - Open Office Hours
Bring all of your questions for Rouxbe's Director of Vegan Pastry
About this Event
Join Chef Fran Costigan in her virtual office as she welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to ask anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Fran is ready to answer them all.
About Fran Costigan
Fran Costigan is internationally renowned as the authority on vegan desserts. Trained at the New York Restaurant School and Natural Gourmet Institute, Fran was a chef in both traditional and vegan pastry kitchens before moving into teaching over 20 years ago. A lifelong chocoholic and long time vegan, Fran’s latest book, Vegan Chocolate: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy Free Desserts, (Running Press 2013) is for all who madly, deeply love chocolate desserts, whether or not dietary considerations are an issue.
Her previous cookbook, More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally (Book Publishing Company 2006) is the basis of the Costigan Vegan Baking Boot Camp Intensive®.
For more information, www.francostigan.com.
Tuesday, September 13th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- What is your favorite vegan cream cheese?
- Can you say more about your course? Is it live classes?
- I’ve been researching Okinawan cuisine and I wondered how you feel about black sugar?
- How do you store your Aquafaba?
- Might you have a suggestion for a tasty savory vegan breakfast item?
- Do you have a reliable source for organic raw cocoa paste for chocolate making?
- What appliance do you think is best for grinding granulated sugar into caster sugar?
- Seems like I have noticed that the dry sauté method for garlic and onions is definitely more “aromatic” than with oil and the aroma permeates my house for days. Am I just noticing it more or does cooking with oil somehow release more of the aroma?
- I noticed that when I use vegan chia egg, my muffins or cake come out a bit dense. They still taste great to me, but I also wonder if there is a way to make them a bit lighter or "fluffier"
- Do you know roughly what the hourly rate would be for a plant based chef to cook for a family?
- My Wild Mushroom Gravy for the Shepherds Pie came out a bit overpowering and a bit 'salty'. I used chaga mushroom powder and I'm wondering if this is the culprit. I was happy with the texture and thickness. Is there a powder you recommend?
- Ground chia.. .like you grind the seeds in what?
- What's your opinion about mixing egg replacers in the same recipe?
- After making a chia egg, do you recommend adding the chia mixture to a blender to “smooth” out the “egg.”
- I love wraps with veggies but they often drip with liquid from cooking or from tomatoes. How do I avoid this?
- I blanched canned raw tomatoes. The pot lid was on during the 85 min but the water evaporated down below the jar lids. Jar lids did pop. Are they safe to eat?
- I need help in navigating the TIMING for bread. In my kitchen my bread bakes at 350 for 35 minutes, it comes out golden brown perfect. In the commercial oven 350 for 35 minutes I get darker bread, it still looks good but not to my liking. HELP
- How do you make your vegan pastries shiny?
- I just purchased your book More Great Dairy Free Desserts Naturally and wondered if you could recommend a recipe or two for me to start out with?
- How can potatoes (french fry cut) be frozen oil-salt free?