<< View All Events
Ken Rubin - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)
Ask Rouxbe's Chief Culinary Officer Anything!
Join Chef Ken Rubin in his virtual office as he welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to Ask Anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Ken is ready to answer them all.
Take advantage of this once a year chance to ask Rouxbe's Chief Culinary Officer anything in our last live event of 2022!
About Ken Rubin
Ken Rubin is a nationally recognized chef, educator, food anthropologist and with over 25 years of broad culinary industry experience. He currently serves as the Chief Culinary Officer at Rouxbe, the world’s leading online culinary school that has helped over 600,000 people learn to cook better. Rouxbe delivers technique focused culinary instruction to home cooks, professional cooks and healthcare professionals around the world through leading edge partnerships with organizations such as Marriott International, Compass USA, The James Beard Foundation, Hyatt Hotels, Trilogy Health Services, Wegmans, The American College of Lifestyle Medicine and many others.
Ken has also held top-level teaching and executive leadership positions at well-respected culinary academies and training organizations including Le Cordon Bleu Schools North America, Chefs.com, the Art Institute of Portland, and the Natural Epicurean Academy.
Ken currently serves as the Chair of the James Beard Foundation’s Broadcast Media Awards Committee which oversees the national recognition for television, film, radio, and online food media content. Ken previously served as a Board Director for the International Association Culinary Professionals (IACP) before joining as Trustee and Chair of The Culinary Trust, IACP’s philanthropic foundation founded by Julia Child.
Ken is a regular speaker and presenter at culinary and medical conferences. He received his BA from Colorado College and an MA in anthropology from the University of Texas at Austin. He and his family enjoy cooking and eating in Portland, Oregon.
Tuesday, December 13th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- Can you help demystify the different nondairy milk alternatives. I am struggling to figure out which plant-based version provide the best overall nutrition. Do you recommend cooking with one in particular depending on the type of cooking (ie baking)
- Now that you've mentioned reductions, could I use coconut sugar to make a fruit reduction?
- When selecting a mandolin for purchase, is stainless steel better than plastic?
- Many recipes call for cardamom, but they don't specify green or black. I believe the results are quite different. Any insight on which to choose would be appreciated.
- Do you press tofu before you freeze it, or freeze and press after?
- Can you talk a little bit about the path to becoming certified as a chef through Rouxbe. Rouxbe gives credits for the FOK class but other classes gives a certificate.
- What is the best type of cutting board?
- I have a carbon steel flat bottom wok and use it on a home gas stove. I have read that it is important to get the wok as hot as possible, so I turn the gas up. However, the oil (avocado or canola) immediately smokes. Can it be too hot?
- I follow the 50/50 plate method and am confused about the starch side of the plate. Do I need to pick 1 tuber + 1 starchy veggie + 1 grain + 1 legume for every meal? Or just pick one type of starch ?
- Would you be able to suggest a replacement for yogurt in any recipe?
- I have chocolate and cheese cravings and struggling with overeating and slightly binging. What should I eat more of to control this?
- When I cube red potatoes and saute them in the pan, they stick to the bottom. Adding water just makes them soggy. Is air frying in the oven the only option?
- Do you have any recommendations of how to prepare sweet jackfruit in a meal?
- How long can I freeze seitan sausages?
- I use a knife sharpener because I am intimidated by the advanced whetstone method. I cook most days with lots of prep work. So how often can I use my knife sharpener & how many passes front to back should I use?
- What is the best way to roast veggies without oil and still get them caramelized?
- I made the Indian Veggie Burger from my list of recipes. The ingredients didn't stick together very well using medium Calrose brown rice I had on hand. Would adding a small batch of short grain rice to the existing ingredients help? Or????
- Can you provide your expertise on the use and purchase of coconut milk. I would like more information about "lite" coconut milk and possibly some brands you might recommend for plant-based whole food cooking.
- I am craving high fiber, slightly sweet roots, round vegetables and greens that I can roast and enjoy eating so I can continue looking slim in my swimsuit. Would you please suggest resources for SOS free, gluten and corn free recipes?
- I'm trying to avoid sugar, dairy and gluten. But would love to have something to just munch on, or suck on like hard candies. Is there such a thing that exist avoiding those things?
- Could you talk about controlling oil temperature when frying at home. Particularly what to do if your oil temp is increasing past your desired frying temperature.
About this Event