Dan Marek - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)
Ask Rouxbe's Director of Plant-Based Culinary and Development Anything!
About this Event
Join Chef Dan Marek in his virtual office as he welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to Ask Anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Dan is ready to answer them all.
About Dan Marek
Dan Marek is a chef educator who has been teaching vegan and vegetarian cooking for over 15 years. At Rouxbe, he is our Director of Plant-Based Culinary and Development where he helps develop content, classes and builds courses for many of our partners.
Dan is a board member of Slow Food Austin, the Institute of Child Nutrition, and Conscious Capitalism. He has earned his BA in Journalism from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and holds certificates in Nutrition from Cornell University.
Prior to his role with Rouxbe, Dan worked with Whole Kids Foundation training teachers and food service at schools across the country on nutrition and culinary best practices. He also worked as a Healthy Eating Educator at Whole Foods Market’s flagship store in Austin, TX, was a personal chef for some of Austin’s elite business people, taught classes in culinary techniques at Austin Community College, The Natural Epicurean, and Le Cordon Bleu.
Dan also regularly volunteers cooking or speaking about nutrition for the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, Marathon Kids, Health Alliance for Austin Musicians, and the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Austin and Central Texas.
Tuesday, January 9th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- What's a good alternative for "cheese" aside from cashews which are high in fat. I'm trying to stop buying plant based cheese products.
- Can you put potato peelings in your veggie stock? Is there anything off-limits?
- Do you recommend freezing veggie burgers cooked or uncooked?
- What do you do with Kale stems? I thought I read somewhere that they are too bitter for stock?
- Is there an advantage to using whole tomatoes in recipes vs. diced tomatoes?
- What are the best dairy-free cheeses you have used in your cooking?
- I'm trying to take meat out of my diet. Are beans the best alternate protein?
- Can frozen fruits be used for breakfast bowls?
- How can I turn my smoothies, juicing and maybe some plant based diet meals into a business? What food safety course should I take to do this?
- Taking out the gills from portobello mushrooms, does it matter if the mushrooms were previously frozen? I had to use a knife instead.
- I’ve heard that certain brands of non-fortified nutritional yeast tend to have a better cheesy profile than fortified. Any truth to that, beyond their marketing claims?
- When dicing uniform sized food products there seems to be a lot of waste, like when you square up tomato or zucchini slices. What do you do with the smaller vegetable pieces to avoid waste?
- I am looking for a good quality soup pot - any suggestions?
- The Chocolate Avocado Mousse recipe calls for 4 very ripe avocados. It also states we can interchange the avocados with silken tofu but doesn't say how much tofu. I assume 1 block. Any idea how much?
- My beloved Peugeot pepper grinder (25 yrs) seems to have trapped moisture. Is there a way to save it or is it time to let it go?
- Is it true that kidney beans are not good for you?
- What alternatives are there to cooking with oil?
- I like healthy smoothies and juicing but I don't have good recipes yet. Where can I go to find them?
- Do I have to peel cucumbers? And does it matter whether it’s English or Persians for recipes?
- On the baked biscuit recipe, it states the flour and milk should be cold. I think I understand the milk, but why the flour?
- I am new to the plant based diet, How do I let others know this diet is healthier for you?
- Task 141 of FOK involves 60 min on tomato based soups. I am allergic to tomatoes. How will I be able to work this task?
- What is your number one tip for newbies who are trying their first Veganuary?
- What is your favorite plant protein?
- Is there an ideal ratio for the different categories in veg. burgers? How thick should they be? What should the moisture level be when making them and how should they feel?
- What is your favorite part of being a plant based culinary chef?