Fran Costigan - Another Look at Sweeteners
Dive deeper than the headlines for this sweet discussion.
About this Event
Sweeteners and desserts go together like vegans and nooch. We do want our birthday cakes, holiday desserts. We also want to use wholesome ingredients and our vegan desserts to be unapologetically delicious.
There’s important news in the granulated sweetener space and Chef Fran Costigan, the director of Vegan Pastry at Rouxbe and instructor for the Essential Vegan Desserts Course is back with Another Look at Sweeteners.
Non-sugar sweeteners have been in the press with statements from the W.H.O to Dr. Gregor. Date sugar is available now in super fine grind and not all coconut sugars look the same. Does it matter?
Join Chef Fran and find out. She will discuss the similarities and differences between vegan sweeteners and offer up some desserts for comparison.
About Fran Costigan
Fran Costigan is internationally renowned as the authority on vegan desserts. Trained at the New York Restaurant School and Natural Gourmet Institute, Fran was a chef in both traditional and vegan pastry kitchens before moving into teaching over 20 years ago. A lifelong chocoholic and long time vegan, Fran’s latest book, Vegan Chocolate: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy Free Desserts, (Running Press 2013) is for all who madly, deeply love chocolate desserts, whether or not dietary considerations are an issue.
Her previous cookbook, More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally (Book Publishing Company 2006) is the basis of the Costigan Vegan Baking Boot Camp Intensive®.
For more information, www.francostigan.com.
Wednesday, July 5th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- Can you use ground dates or other ground dried fruits as a sweetener for cookies or other baked goods?
- Is there any rule of thumb for adjusting sugar in high altitude areas when baking?
- When cooking for family which natural sugar is tolerated best for most people?
- What about using fruit juice as a sweetener?
- Why not use stevia powder?
- I am learning some new information about sugar and addiction. Your thoughts?
- What is the advantage of organic materials over its conventional counterparts?
- Can you suggest the best easiest way to use fresh cherries?
- What do you think of Monk Fruit?
- How do you substitute oil in everyday recipes like curries, salads, etc.?
- Why do most 10x sugars contain cornstarch vs vegan/organic that use tapioca?
- Do you think RX sugar is a good choice?
- Which natural sweetener is the healthiest?
- I avoid all processed sweeteners including maple syrup, molasses, dried fruit (dates), etc. What whole food sweeteners do you suggest?
- I'd like to know the "rules" regarding reducing, substituting, or eliminating sugars from a recipe and how it will affect the outcome.
- Do you think there is connection between gluten and sugar?
- What is nooch?