Fran Costigan - Dairy Alternatives, Plant Milk and Beyond
About this Event
Today’s profusion of non-dairy options is astonishing, and maybe just a tad confusing. Join Chef Fran, our director of Vegan Pastry at Rouxbe, to explore the vast array of plant milks, creams, yogurt, butters. It’s not just soy and rice milk (or the dreaded hydrogenated margarine) anymore.
For vegan or lactose intolerant folks, these ingredients are a boon. Plant-based dairy products are kinder to the environment and animals, and cholesterol-free too. Chef Fran will walk you through the plethora of plant milks, butters, yogurts, creams, focusing on types, ingredients and when to use one over another.
DIY plant milks and a simple recipe for making vegan butter are on the table.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to try something new, and ask the amazing chef Fran your questions about plant-based dairy alternatives at our Live Event.
About Fran Costigan
Fran Costigan is internationally renowned as the authority on vegan desserts. Trained at the New York Restaurant School and Natural Gourmet Institute, Fran was a chef in both traditional and vegan pastry kitchens before moving into teaching over 20 years ago. A lifelong chocoholic and long time vegan, Fran’s latest book, Vegan Chocolate: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy Free Desserts, (Running Press 2013) is for all who madly, deeply love chocolate desserts, whether or not dietary considerations are an issue.
Her previous cookbook, More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally (Book Publishing Company 2006) is the basis of the Costigan Vegan Baking Boot Camp Intensive®.
For more information, www.francostigan.com.
Wednesday, January 11th
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- How do you make plant milks last longer? When I have in the past, it spoiled in the fridge within 2-3 days.
- Should you cook your oats before making oat milk?
- Is it better to make your own milk compared to buying it at the market?
- Is the violife butter hydrogenated? Is it different to a margarine?
- What is the best milk to use to create buttermilk? I noticed oat milk tends not to curdle as almond milk.
- Did you mix 50/50 steel cut/rolled oats to your oatmilk?
- I use gluten free oats. Will they work as well as regular rolled oats?
- I make nut milk with my Vitamix and I strain it through a nut milk bag. How many nutrients are lost by straining it?
- Would most of the desserts listed in your dessert book be easy to substitute sugar with coconut sugar, syrup or honey and still turn out? suggestions for doing that?
- How do you make good tasting plant based yoghurts?
- For hot cocoa, I would love a recipe for vegan marshmallows.
- I have had varying degrees of success making nondairy yogurt. Do you have any tips or recipes for this?
- After using the nut bag, is there something you can do with what is inside the nut bag? I always feel bad to put that in the garbage
- I am confused about vegan butters and cream cheeses that I've found bc they have alot of oil in them and, if eating whole food plant based, you aren't supposed to eat oil?
- I would love to know a good vegan butter that's healthy or healthy(ish) and not margarine. Something good to go on toast.
- Are all plant milks created equal? Any you've found to be best for baking / desserts?
- I have a niece that has nut allergies, what are the best nut free milks?
- Can you mix different plant milks together, if you are running out of one and need some more for a baking recipe?
- My son is allergic to milk. I have tried almond milk and other forms of milk and he always has a bad reaction.
- I was wondering what your thoughts are on this new sesame milk?
- How do I make pea milk ? I like the taste of ripple Pea milk, so how can I get something similar to this ?
- I tend to stick with the store bought milks for my kids due to the fact that they are fortified with extra vitamins and minerals. I was shocked to see how much sugar that is in the plant based milk!! I am torn.
- Which homemade plant milk has the highest fat content?
- Is or how much butter okay and healthy? Are plant based substitutes for butter okay? Are flavored and sweetened plant based milk substitutes okay for you?
- Can you comment on the use of plant based milks with toddlers and young adolescents. What is the current (unbiased) science saying about this plant based alternative?
- Can you talk about how to use the leftover pulp from making nut milk?
- How do I make homemade vegan mayo that actually tastes good?
- Is there a good substitute for butter in sauteing and baking that does NOT involve hi-saturated fats like coconut and palm oils?
- I’ve had a hard time finding a plant-based yogurt that has a thick texture and good flavor. Any advice?
- Can you recommend a recipe to make a very creamy nut milk that can be used in a latte?
- Do you see a need for "nut milk" machines, or do you think that a high-speed blender can handle the work, as long as you have a good nut bag?