Dan Marek - Ask Me Anything (Office Hours)
Ask Rouxbe's Director of Plant-Based Culinary and Development Anything!
About this Event
Join Chef Dan Marek in his virtual office as he welcomes all of your questions. This event was created for you and we encourage you to Ask Anything – from cooking techniques to course-specific questions, to how to turn your cooking passion into profit or simply hearing the perspective of a professional chef, Chef Dan is ready to answer them all.
About Dan Marek
Dan Marek is a chef educator who has been teaching vegan and vegetarian cooking for over 15 years. At Rouxbe, he is our Director of Plant-Based Culinary and Development where he helps develop content, classes and builds courses for many of our partners.
Dan is a board member of Slow Food Austin, the Institute of Child Nutrition, and Conscious Capitalism. He has earned his BA in Journalism from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and holds certificates in Nutrition from Cornell University.
Prior to his role with Rouxbe, Dan worked with Whole Kids Foundation training teachers and food service at schools across the country on nutrition and culinary best practices. He also worked as a Healthy Eating Educator at Whole Foods Market’s flagship store in Austin, TX, was a personal chef for some of Austin’s elite business people, taught classes in culinary techniques at Austin Community College, The Natural Epicurean, and Le Cordon Bleu.
Dan also regularly volunteers cooking or speaking about nutrition for the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, Marathon Kids, Health Alliance for Austin Musicians, and the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Austin and Central Texas.
Tuesday, January 31st
Share this Event:
Related Video FAQs:
- After finishing the FOK courses, are there other cooking classes I can take if I want to continue learning in this area?
- Is there a way to tell a good recipe from a bad one?
- What's the longest tofu can be marinated before it starts to crumble?
- How do I keep tofu moist in my regular oven?
- Do you think that a tofu press is an important tool in the kitchen?
- Once you open a can of chickpeas, how long can you keep the aquafaba in the fridge?
- What is the best and easiest way to clean a pasta maker?
- How do vinegars, soy sauces fit into the whole food plan when cooking?
- Any recommendations for purchasing a mandoline slicer?
- Can a cleaver be sharpened in the same motion as a chef's knife? Or is it better to do by section?
- What can I use as a replacement for vegan butter in pasta to help with them sticking together?
- I want to try making a tofu scramble for the first time. If adding kala namek black salt for the "egg taste", how much would be added for one block of medium firm tofu(500g)? Do you press out the water first?
- Recently in office hours you recommended that graduates redo Rouxbe courses on their own. I’m redoing the Plant-based Pro Cert course, relearning things I had forgotten or rushed by, and trying different recipes for activities. Great advice! Thanks!
- Can I use nut butters, vegan yogurt or tofu instead of butter or oil in yeast breads?
- I'd like to no oil saute onions, garlic and tomato on my gas stove in a stainless fry pan. I set my heat to medium high and do the water test for the 'mercury ball' of water. Then I add my onions. Pls advise on heat settings from that point on
- Can you provide us with the best types of pots for cooking and why?
- Can someone achieve all their nutrients by plant based prepping especially meeting their protein requirements when starting at basic level? Can you provide a guided walk through to help some one who struggles to food prep.
- I am working on the agar cheese for the Plant Based cooking class. It turned out to be the consistency of a weird lumpy mess. Could it be the agar, or am I not cooking it enough?
- Looking for input about types of recipes good for teaching cooking & getting started.
- Can you recommend a good knife for the inexperienced cook?
- I am signed up for the FOK culinary course. Is there a way to "fast track" through the course or test out?
- I read online that there are exclusive facebook groups we can join once we have signed up for a Rouxbe course. I am in the ProCook course. Do you know how we join the facebook group?
- Is there a way to post existing photos and recipes?
- What are some ways to get a Tomato based sauce or stew to balance - reduce Acidity?
- Is flax egg a reliable binder? Also what's a good measurement to substitute one egg?
- How can I make time for cooking? It seems I get too busy and keep buying premade meals.
- I froze the liquid from the chickpeas to use for aquafaba. Then I read you need to reduce the liquid before freezing and/or using. Did I ruin my liquid? Can I still use it after thawing and then reduce it? Do you reduce yours first?
- I recently switched to induction cooking and I'm having trouble getting my conventional pressure cooker to pressure without burning the bottom of the food in it. Any suggestions?
- Could you please tell me a good way to make spice rubs to adhere to tofu?
- How do I make Açai sorbet? Do I need an ice cream maker and what’s best source for Açai paste?
- How do you properly clean vegetables?
- I'm suffering from cravings and overeating. How to construct a balanced plate? Is it protein, fats, and carb? Is it necessary to do this for every meal?
- What are the best foods/herbs for inflammation?
- I am wanting some direction in buying some stainless steel cookware. If I only buy one good fry pan to start how to determine quality, size, suitable for pan tossing. Where to purchase.
- How can someone who has a busy life working and studying and needs to eat healthy can easily get used to food prep at the minimum and gradually progress so that it does not seem to be a burden?
- Can you discuss making mayo & sauces - cashews versus soy. Pros and cons?
- Which sweeteners are best to worst, and how much should be consumed per day?
- I try to cook without oil as much as possible. In instances where oil is used what would be your suggestion for the healthiest?? What is your opinion on coconut oil?
- How do I take my passion for food to a profitable business?
- I want to learn about cooking tempeh. The protein content interests me so I want to be able to enjoy it.
- What is a good mixture to use to bind the lentil burgers with?
- Do you have any culinary books/podcasts/websites that you recommend?